Thursday, August 15, 2013

Buckeye Beauty Queen: Angela Rivers

When I first met Queen Angie we immediately clicked. I met her during our journey towards becoming state queens for the Miss Plus America 2011 pageant.  She is down to earth, funny and she keeps it real. We had tons of fun before, during and after competition, state and nationals. We still keep in contact and I have designed a few pieces for her to compete in. I am glad to call queen Angie my friend and sister.
 

1. What is your current title?
Ms. American Beauties Plus, 2013
 
2. How did you feel when you were crowned?
 It was amazing! I was so nervous! Our category only had 4 women in it and one of the ladies won an Elite Title. So when they called me as 1 of the last 2, I held my other sisters hand then they called her. I had tears of joy and was just utterly amazed at how God favored me!

 
3. What does being Ms. American Beauties Plus 2013 mean to you?
 It’s giving me an opportunity to inspire, enlighten, encourage all women, of all sizes and races that you can do and achieve anything through Christ that strengthens you!
 
4. Do you have a platform or charity?
 Yes my platform/charity is the ministry of “Having the Courage to Change”. It is a structured living environment for women that are in addiction and recovery. It use Biblical principles to help women maintain a sober way of living. It helps women with all various types of addiction. Drugs, alcohol, theft, etc..
 
5. How has being a title holder helped your charity/platform?
It has helped boost the self esteem of the ladies there, more donations for the women have came through for them, more people are learning more about the program and are interested in living a sober lifestyle.
 
6. What do you hope to gain by your participation in pageants?
 I love getting the word out about my platform/charity and learning about others. I love all the wonderful new “sisters” I have met and the friendships I have encountered. I have some amazing friends in the pageant world.
 
7. Is your family/partner supportive through your journey? Yes my little sister and my fiancée traveled with me this time. My sister is my hairstylist so she made sure every outfit I had and my hair style was perfect. My co-workers and friends are very supportive and so is my family. I love being recognized when I’m out and people stopping and asking me for my autograph. At the pageant when I won, my fiancée yelled out “that’s my Queen!” when I was being crowned.. everybody was like awww!..lol
 
8. How do you feel about title holders who pose nude, semi-nude? To each, their own. You can pose in a classy way and it could be for a special cause, like breast cancer or love your body campaign. Now me, that’s not for me! I couldn’t see myself doing it. We all wear lingerie and under wear. I don’t see anything wrong with modeling those things.
 
9. What titles have you held?
Ms. Cincinnati, Ohio Plus America, 2010 and 2011, Ms. Ohio Plus America 2011, U.S. United, Elegant Elite Ohio, 2012 and Ms. Ohio American Beauties Plus, 2013.
 
10. Has competing in pageants helped you grow as a person? as a woman? mother? how so?
 I think it has helped me by boosting up my confidence. I’m a little more confident in the things I wear and how I present myself. I am an example to my daughter and I encourage her in her modeling career.
 
11. Do you watch "Toddlers and Tiaras"? How do you feel about children in pageants?
 Yes I do. I think its an amazing outlet for children but when their parents go to the extreme, I think it’s a bit much.
 
12. How do you feel about "pageant hopping", going from state to state within the same pageant system to compete?
 If that’s what you feel you need to do to get the crown, then that’s you but honey after the second time, I think it’s a wrap! Try another pageant system or maybe pageants aren’t for you!
 
13. What made you compete in your first pageant?
 I was goggling to see if there was any such thing as a Plus size pageant and then it came up! So I asked my best friend Darlene if she thinks I should do it and she told me yes so I entered. That was 4yrs ago. I have met some awesome people and experience great things. Glad I did it,
 
14. How long have you been competing?
 For 4 years now.
 
15. What was your first title?
 Ms. Cincinnati OH Plus America, 2010

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment