Monday, August 19, 2013

A wordly Queen: Ocipare Mckinley

What can I say about Queen Ocipare? She is a humanitarian, mother, activist, entrepreneur and my mentor. She helped me with all of the craziness and drams during my journey in the pageant world. Ocipare aka Key to us is the true definition of a queen. She has held many titles and has been competing in pageantry for over a decade. Her platform is more than just an activity, she lives it and breathes it. I watch her with her daughter who is autistic and she is amazing with her patience with her. She recently started a dress boutique called PARE boutique and she has sponsored many different pageant systems with beautiful gowns. She is my mentor/pageant mom and she has such a kind warm heart. Check out her interview and get a closer look into Queen Ocipare's life.



1. What is your current title?

The current titles I represent are Ms. Ubuntu Ambassador 2013 and Mrs. USA United Nation International 2014 which I plan to compete October 2014 at the Grand Palladium Resort in Montego Bay, Jamaica.

2. What is your best memory of being crowned?

I would say my best crowning memory is when I won U.S. United Queen of Queens 2011.  As a full-figured mature woman, it was an honor but it was shocking and incredible... it was such a surreal moment for me when I won 1st place over 37 beautiful, intelligent and most very physically fit women from across the U.S.  What a great feeling and fantastic moment which for me has been absolutely unforgettable!!

3. What does being Mrs. USA mean to you?

It means I am a married woman who is committed to my husband and our covenant… I am not alone!!  With the help of my husband and family I am able to represent them with pride in any endeavor we agree upon and we do everything together from the celebrations to the sacrifices… it is a family affair therefore it gives me strength and power internally to go out and spread my wings.

4. Do you have a platform or charity?

My platform is "Autism Speaks - Awareness, Education and ACTION!" which is my passion and love since the autism diagnosis of my daughter at age 3.

5. How has being a title holder helped your charity/platform?

Every crown has a potential to open doors if you are willing to do the work to make your title memorable.  Each step that I took as a national titleholder has solidified my commitment to my platform in helping individuals and families who have been affected by autism.  I feel people looked at me as an authority on the subject not only because I am an Autism Mom, but because of the crown and title.

6. What do you hope to gain by your participation in pageants?

The two things I hope to gain by my participation in pageantry is continued momentum towards my platform with Autism Speaks as well as making myself a better human being.  My main focus is to educate the public about autism… 1 in 88 children in the next 20 years will be adults in America… do we have a clear plan now of inclusion with our special individuals.  But more importantly, the journey and process of the preparation is what I enjoy most because you learn to accentuate your strengths and diligently work on your weaknesses therefore making a well-rounded and grounded human being!

7. Is your husband and family supportive through your journey?

Without a doubt!!  My biggest fan, admirer and cheerleader is my husband.  We plan everything together for me to participate including what pageants I plan to join.  Because I am married, this is a joint effort that requires joint representation... when I step out, I represent The McKinley Family and I have the full support of my husband and my children.

8. How do you feel about title holders who pose nude or semi-nude?

I do not feel they need to be titleholders... they should be models.  As a model you have the flexibility of what you choose to do or represent.  Your image is based on your work, work ethic and how committed you are to your career.  As a titleholder, you are held to a different standard under contract by the contest won.  The majority of pageants do not allow partial and full nudity in any form and that is the rules.  They are not there to be broken or challenged... they are there to be followed to continue the legacy of the competition.

9. What titles have you held?

U.S. United Queen of Queens ~ Titleholder (2011)

Elegant Elite Ms. Ohio U.S. United ~ Titleholder (2011)

Ms. Ohio Plus America ~ Titleholder (2010)

Ms. Franklin County Ohio Plus America ~ Titleholder (2010)

Mrs. Columbus International ~ Titleholder (2007 & 2008)

Ms. Ohio American Elegance ~ Titleholder (2007)

Ms. Columbus State Community College - Homecoming Queen (2005)

Ms. Black Sophisticate Connecticut ~ Titleholder (1998)

Ms. Aruba Petite International ~ Titleholder (1996)

Ms. Capital Community-Technical College ~ Titleholder (1995)

 

10. Has competing in pageants helped you grow as a person? As a woman? Mother? How so?

Pageantry has helped me grow as a person.  But it is not necessarily the pageant that helps you to grow... the growth is within the preparation.  If you are a person who enjoys self-assessing and making yourself better through practice… pageantry is for you!!

11. Do you watch "Toddlers and Tiaras"? How do you feel about children in pageants?

I do not watch Toddlers and Tiaras because I do not believe in glam pageants for children.  I also feel that if my daughter does not ask to be part of the pageant… I would never force her to take part. 

12. How do you feel about "pageant hopping", going from state to state within the same pageant system to compete?

I feel that is unethical only if it breaks the rules of the pageant.  If the pageant allows it, I am not against it.  The only thing I would say I am against is unethical behavior in pageantry but that is not something that happens at every pageant, but there is always 1 or 2 bad apples in the bunch… just ignore them and move on. 

13. What made you compete in your first pageant?

I have an old childhood friend, Wanda Gonzalez-Martinez, who introduced me to pageantry.  She was Miss Connecticut USA 1993.  After helping her in her preparations, I thought to myself, “this is something I would like to try” and when I did… I never turned back!!!

14. How long have you been competing?

I have been competing since I was 18 years old.

15. What was your first title?

I competed 27 times before my first title which was Ms. Capital Community Technical College 1995.

No comments:

Post a Comment